Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Berry Berry Crisp

Today I noticed I still had a lot of produce from my CSA last week, and knowing that i only had a few days before my next pickup I decided to make something.

First off in case someone does not know what a CSA is. It stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and it is basically a farm share with your local organic farm or orchard of your choice. It is a great way to get organic produce and even sometimes Meat, eggs, etc... at a lower cost while also helping out the local farms in your community.

Now back to the produce waiting for me in the fridge. A half pint of blueberries and some strawberries awaited being made into something scrumptious. So I pulled them out and decided a crisp was in the need of being made. Also because my roommate John had brought home a huge bag of oatmeal and I wanted to make use of them as well.

I asked my daughter if she would like to help me however she was far more interested in eating ramen noodles and drinking Apple Juice at the moment. Not to mention playing Zoo Tycoon on the computer. She had totally ignored the dinner i had made and instead wanted Ramen. Go figure.

Sadly I did not take pictures of everything I was doing so i only have pictures of the finished product. I do have to say it came out splendidly and I was very pleased with it. This crisp is less Sweet than others you may have tried so if you like things super sweet add a bit more sugar to the berries.

Berry Berry Crisp

1 cup fresh blueberries ( do not use frozen unless you plan to thaw them out and squeeze out all liquid)
1 cup sliced strawberries
3 Tablespoons of white sugar

Topping
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl toss berries with sugar than pour them into either a brownie pan or pie plate as this is a small crisp.

In a separate bowl combine the rest of the ingredients well until crumbly. Than pour on top of the berries spreading them out lightly so that it is all even.

Bake in a preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and the top is golden brown.

Serve with some vanilla Ice Cream while its still warm. It should look as yummy as this..


Cheerio

No comments:

Post a Comment